Creases and lines across the forehead often impart a worried, aged look that detracts from an otherwise youthful and fresh appearance. Vertical ‘worry lines’ between the eyebrows can also make you look angry or tired. A brow lift procedure may correct the aged appearance of the brow region.
What is a Brow Lift?
A brow lift, or forehead lift, is a cosmetic procedure that tightens and rejuvenates the area above the eyes and around the forehead and eyebrows. The brow lift elevates drooping eyebrows and diminishes the vertical lines between brows, as well as horizontal lines that form across the forehead.
Benefits of a Brow Lift
A brow lift is a cosmetic procedure that rejuvenates the face by providing the following improvements:
- Raising the eyebrows to a higher position, creating a more alert and youthful expression
- Reducing the size of a thick, heavy brow to make the eyes appear more prominent
- Lifting a sagging brow that hoods the upper eyelid and may impair vision
- Eliminating wrinkles and lines across the forehead or near the top of the bridge of the nose
- Diminishing vertical creases between the eyebrows, also known as frown or worry lines
- Balancing eyebrows that are asymmetrical or imbalanced
- Rejuvenating the appearance of the entire face
Am I a Candidate For a Brow Lift?
A brow lift may be right for you if you are unhappy with the appearance of low and heavy eyebrows that make you look tired, angry or worried, regardless of your mood. Brow lift surgery is recommended for healthy adults who want to correct the following:
- Heavy, sagging or drooping eyebrows
- Horizontal creases or wrinkles across the forehead and high on the bridge of the nose
- Vertical frown or worry lines between the eyebrows
Brow Lift Recovery
The recovery period differs significantly depending on which procedure you undergo. It is normal to experience some swelling, numbness and temporary discomfort around the incision area. Swelling may also affect the eyes, nose, and cheeks; however, this resolves itself within a week or so. Some patients may experience hair loss around the incision area, but normal hair growth should resume within a few weeks or months. With the endoscopic forehead lift, numbness, discomfort, and mild swelling are common, but incision site pain is usually minimal. Patients experience less of the itching sensation with the endoscopic forehead lift than with the classic method.
Complementary Cosmetic Procedures
To achieve a total facial rejuvenation, you may require more than one procedure, and the brow lift may be combined with any of the following:
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) to rejuvenate sagging skin around the eyes.
- Facelift to rejuvenate and tighten the mid to lower face and neck regions.
The brow lift may be combined with upper eyelid surgery since heavy, drooping eyebrows often contribute to the appearance of saggy eyelids. Additional procedures, such as injectable fillers, may be added to complete the facial rejuvenation by adding volume and contour to the upper facial region.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I have scarring after my Brow Lift?
The incisions for a brow lift are all well concealed and are not noticeable, no matter what technique is used.
How is a Brow Lift performed?
There are many types of brow lifts. Incision length and placement depends on the type of brow lift you are having and is determined in advance by your surgeon.