Breast Augmentation in Detroit, MI
Led by board-certified plastic surgeon Ahmet R. Karaca, M.D., Birmingham Plastic Surgery offers some of the latest advances in breast augmentation to women throughout Detroit, Farmington Hills and the surrounding communities of Michigan. With breast augmentation, patients can add volume, curvature and symmetry to improve the shape and overall appearance of their breasts.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation, clinically known as augmentation mammoplasty and commonly known as a “boob job”, is a surgical procedure that transforms the shape, volume and proportion of the breasts into the patient’s desired appearance. Breast enlargement can restore balance and proportion to the silhouettes of women of all ages.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, breast augmentation is the top cosmetic procedure performed in the U.S. Common reasons patients undergo breast augmentation include:
- To add fullness and projection to the breasts
- To enlarge breasts that are disproportionately small or underdeveloped, usually due to hereditary
- To restore volume and/or shape to the breasts that were lost due to pregnancy, breastfeeding or weight loss
- To balance asymmetrical breasts
- To reconstruct the breasts following a mastectomy due breast cancer
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
Many women are unhappy with how their breasts look and feel, but breast augmentation can rectify most of their concerns. There are many benefits to undergoing augmentation, but the most popular include:
- Correcting breasts that are uneven
- Adding volume to the breasts following pregnancy
- Restoring firmness to the breasts and reducing sagginess due to weight loss
- Replacing volume lost to mastectomy
- Improving the balance and proportion of your figure
- Creating a symmetrical silhouette
While breast augmentation can improve moderate sagging, the procedure does not correct breasts that droop severely. A breast lift is more suitable for severely drooping breasts, and Dr. Karaca can perform a breast lift in conjunction with augmentation to make your breasts larger, fuller and more projected in height. When the doctor performs both procedures in one stage, he can avoid double incisions and reduce subsequent scarring for the patient, and the patient only has to undergo one recovery period.
Who Is An Ideal Candidate For Breast Augmentation?
While many women are frustrated with their breasts, not all women are ideal candidates for breast augmentation. The best candidates are in good physical and emotional health but are unhappy with the size or shape of their breasts. Candidates should have a thorough understanding of what breast augmentation surgery entails and its limitations and have realistic expectations about how the surgery can improve the look and feel of their breasts. Aside from boosting confidence, self-perception and body image, patients commonly seek breast augmentation to:
- Add volume to smaller breasts
- Make asymmetrical breasts proportional
- Lift breasts that droop and sag due to pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Correct changes in breast size or shape following weight loss
- Reconstruct the breasts following mastectomy to treat breast cancer
Two Types of Breast Implants
Saline breast implants and silicone breast implants are the two types of breast implants that are FDA approved for breast augmentation. Both implants come in different volumes (measured in CCs), round or teardrop shapes, smooth or textured shells and can be placed over (subglandular) or under (submuscular) the pectoral muscle. Saline and silicone implants can enhance the contours of a woman’s body and bring proportion to the chest, but the ideal implant depends on the aesthetic goals and lifestyle of each individual patient. Dr. Karaca can use any variation of these options to create a custom breast augmentation that produces your desired outcome.
- Available since the mid-1960s.
- FDA approved for breast augmentation in women who are age 18 or older.
- Filled with a sterile saltwater solution that is safe for the body.
- Implants are not pre-filled; the implant is inserted into the breast pocket and then filled during the augmentation procedure.
- Provide a more uniform shape that is rounder in appearance and firmer in feel.
- Silicone implants are filled with a silicone gel and have a long, proven history of safe use.
- FDA approved for breast augmentation in women who are age 22 or older.
- The gel in silicone implants is more reminiscent of actual breast tissue, making silicone implants more natural in feel and appearance.
- Silicone implants come in a range of shapes, sizes, and textures.
- Implants are pre-filled prior to insertion during the augmentation procedure.
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
Breast implants are placed using three types of incisions:
- Inframammary incision: The implant is placed below the breast and hidden in the breast fold.
- Transaxillary incision: The implant is placed through the armpit in the underarm.
- Periareolar incision: The implant is placed through the areola, leaving the most visible incision.
Incision placement is largely determined by the patient’s personal preference and cosmetic expectations, but the doctor may suggest one particular incision over another depending on the patient’s anatomy and the type or size of implant chosen. Regardless of the method of placement, all incisions are carefully placed to minimize visible scarring.
After the choice of incision is made, the implant is inserted inside of a pocket behind the breast tissue or beneath the pectoral muscle. After the implant is in place and properly positioned according to the patient’s anatomy and desired size, the incision is closed using dissolvable sutures.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
Patients usually experience slight discomfort up to three days following the procedure, after which, regular, non-strenuous activities, such as showering, can be resumed. Patients are prescribed a post-operative bra that they must wear as they heal. Most swelling goes down after a few weeks, allowing the final results to be easily seen. Once several weeks have passed, and all swelling has subsided, you can stop wearing the prescribed post-operative bra and resume more strenuous activities. Patients should continue to perform the arm movements and exercises prescribed by Dr. Karaca.
What Does Breast Augmentation Cost In Detroit?
Unless the surgery is performed for reconstruction purposes associated with breast cancer, breast augmentation is considered a cosmetic procedure, and the costs are not covered by medical insurance. Dr. Karaca accepts cash, personal checks, and credit cards and offers financing options to make breast augmentation more affordable for his patients.
If you’re unhappy with the size, volume or shape of your breasts, consider breast augmentation from Birmingham Plastic Surgery to get the fuller, more voluptuous breasts you’ve always desired. Our practice is led by board-certified plastic surgeon Ahmet R. Karaca, M.D., and we welcome women from Detroit, Farmington Hills and the surrounding areas of Michigan to contact us and discover how breast augmentation and other procedures can improve their appearance and self-esteem.