Plastic Surgery in Detroit, MI
Have you found yourself feeling self-conscious about your appearance as a result of aging? Even if you are very good about eating right and exercising regularly, your physical appearance will naturally change as you grow older. If you are looking to regain that feeling of self-confidence you had years ago, plastic surgery might be the answer for you. Birmingham Plastic Surgery, led by board-certified plastic surgeon, Ahmet R. Karaca, M.D., offers a wide range of treatments and procedures to help the residents of Detroit, Farmington Hills and the surrounding communities of Michigan refine, reverse and improve their physical appearance with plastic surgery.
What Is Plastic Surgery?
Everyone has something about themselves that troubles them and affects their self-confidence. Modern aesthetic medicine has made it possible for many of these imperfections to be improved or diminished. ‘Plastic surgery’ is a term that refers to a number of medical and cosmetic treatments and procedures designed to redefine a person’s outward appearance that, often times, acts as a boost to self-esteem. In order for any plastic surgery to be successful, the patient must have a healthy attitude and realistic expectations of the outcome.
Why Choose Plastic Surgery?
The decision to undergo plastic surgery should not be made hastily. There are many different reasons a person may want to undergo plastic surgery. The pros and cons of your individual situation and circumstances must be given considerable weight and reflection before the choice whether or not to have elective plastic surgery is decided. Some of the many reasons people choose to undergo elective plastic surgery include:
- To restore a younger, more radiant appearance
- To improve or diminish a scar from an accident or a birth defect
- To tighten and reshape parts of the body that have not responded to clean eating and exercise
Plastic Surgery Procedures Offered
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implant Removal
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Reduction
- Tummy Tuck
- Mini Tummy Tuck
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Mommy Makeover
- Thigh Lift
- Body Lift
- Arm Lift
What Is The Difference Between Cosmetic And Reconstructive Surgery?
Cosmetic surgery is a subcategory of plastic surgery that allows people to reshape and change the structure of their body and facial appearance to improve something that they do not like or something they wish to enhance. Since cosmetic surgeries are often not for medical necessity, health insurance companies rarely cover any of the costs involved.
Reconstructive surgery is a subcategory of plastic surgery designed to correct problems and abnormalities related to one’s physical appearance that may have been sustained through injury, trauma, disease or congenital defect. Reconstructive surgeries are performed in an effort to normalize a person’s appearance, as well as to improve or restore the function of abnormal structures. Most health insurance policies provide some level of coverage for reconstructive surgery, but the amount will vary from policy to policy.
Insurance companies often do not have a concrete definition for which procedures are considered cosmetic versus reconstructive. For example, eyelid surgery could be covered by an insurance policy if the individual’s eyelids are considered abnormal and it causes the person to have vision problems and, therefore, the procedure is considered reconstructive. However, the same insurance policy may not provide coverage if the same procedure is done electively, simply to enhance the person’s appearance.
How Should I Prepare For Plastic Surgery?
It is important that you remain healthy prior to, during and following your procedure. In order to ensure good health, it is recommended that you:
- Do not smoke cigarettes or cigars, vape e-cigarettes or use nicotine patches or gum within four weeks of your surgery. Any use of these products will impede your body’s natural healing abilities. It is also important to avoid exposure to secondhand smoke during this time period.
- Maintain good health. In the weeks leading up to your surgery, avoid contact with people who are ill or any exposure to known illness. If you do become sick, your surgery may need to be postponed. If you feel yourself coming down with an illness, seek medical care right away so as to be on the path to wellness quickly. Be sure to let us know if you become seriously ill or have any significant changes in your general health at any time before your surgery date.
- Stay active but safe. Leading up to the date of your surgery, it is important that you avoid overly strenuous exercises or sports. However, it is necessary that you continue to stay active. We recommend taking a long walk every day as a way to build up your stamina and maintain health, as well as following a low-impact strength training routine after you are recovered from your surgery in order to reap the most benefits from your procedure.
- Adhere to a balanced diet and avoiding excessive alcohol consumption and overindulgence in fats and sugars is important to maintain good health. Be sure to contact us if you begin taking supplements at any time before your procedure.
Will Health Insurance Cover My Surgery?
The majority of health insurance policies do not provide coverage for elective plastic surgery, as these procedures are considered not medically necessary. In general, most reconstructive plastic surgery procedures are covered, in part. Certain specified procedures may have identified levels of coverage available. Be sure to consult your health insurance provider for the coverage details specific to your plan.
Remember, a very thin line exists between what insurance companies may consider reconstructive and medically necessary and plastic surgery procedures which are considered purely elective. If your eyelids are drooping to the point of vision impairment, it is more likely to be considered medically necessary to correct the issue rather than cosmetic for appearance’s sake.
If your health insurance provider fails to cover part or all of your plastic surgery, we have a wide variety of flexible payment options, including cash, check, major credit card or available financing.
To learn more about the plastic surgery procedures offered by Dr. Karaca at Birmingham Plastic Surgery, contact our friendly, helpful staff today to schedule your in-person consultation. We are proud to serve the residents of Detroit, Farmington Hills and the surrounding Michigan communities.