Rhinoplasty in Detroit, MI
The “nose job” or rhinoplasty is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures performed in the world and one of the few plastic surgery procedures regularly performed on children and adults alike. Rhinoplasty may be performed to correct almost any structural or cosmetic imperfection in the nose. Birmingham Plastic Surgery, led by board-certified plastic surgeon Ahmet R. Karaca, M.D., has extensive experience performing rhinoplasty on adults and children who live in and around Detroit, Farmington Hills and the surrounding communities of Michigan.
What is a Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is a form of plastic surgery that is performed on either adults or children to correct a variety of conditions, including:
- Changing the size of the nose
- Removing a bony hump or ridge on the bridge of the nose
- Sculpting or altering the shape of the tip of the nose
- Making the nasal bridge wider or more narrow
- Adjusting the size angle of the nostrils
- Adjusting the angle between the nose and upper lip
Rhinoplasty also corrects nasal birth defects, injuries or conditions that may impair an individual’s breathing, such as a deviated septum. In these cases, rhinoplasty may be covered as a medical procedure by some insurance carriers.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty is one of the most commonly performed plastic surgeries worldwide because it provides a marked improvement to a patient’s quality of life, helping individuals breathe easier or simply feel better about their appearance. Rhinoplasty is a safe and effective procedure that is regularly performed on children and adults alike. The results of this procedure are permanent.
Is Rhinoplasty Right For Me?
Rhinoplasty may be right for you if you are in general good health and want to achieve one or more of the following:
- Changing the size of your nose or nostrils to be in proportion to the rest of your facial features
- Adjust the width of the bridge of your nose or remove a bump or ridge on it
- Reshape your nose to its original form if it has been damaged by an injury
- Correct a congenital condition, such as a deviated septum, in order to improve breathing
- Correct unsatisfactory results from a previous rhinoplasty procedure
Rhinoplasty Surgery – Available Techniques
Rhinoplasty is a customized procedure tailored to each individual. There are several approaches and techniques that may be used, each designed to solve specific issues. The most suitable approach for you will be selected during your initial consultation at Birmingham Plastic Surgery, based on a variety of factors. Dr. Karaca will assess the shape of your nose, discuss your goals and determine the best approach to address your specific issues, choosing from the following options:
- Open rhinoplasty – This is the most commonly performed rhinoplasty. This procedure involves two incisions on the outside and inside of the nose.Through these, the skin of the nose is raised, the internal structure is reshaped, and excess skin and cartilage tissue are extracted. Tissue grafts are used to support and maintain the new nasal structure. This approach allows Dr. Karaca total access to the internal nasal structure, resulting in a very straightforward procedure with a predictable outcome.
- Closed rhinoplasty – Closed rhinoplasty, though less common, offers the benefit that no incisions are made on the outside of the nose, so it leaves no visible scar; however, this procedure grants less direct access to inner nasal structures, providing less precision and less predictable results. Closed rhinoplasty is best performed by a skilled specialist, such as Dr. Karaca. Closed rhinoplasty requires the same downtime and recovery period as open rhinoplasty and produces attractive, natural-looking results with less visible scarring.
You will be instructed to keep your head elevated for 24 hours to minimize swelling immediately after the surgery. Some patients experience discomfort, and we recommend resting and refraining from strenuous physical activity. Swelling will increase and then subside during the first 10 days following surgery. Other minor symptoms and discomfort will disappear gradually, and stitches will either be removed, or they will dissolve on their own. You may resume non-strenuous work activities after about two weeks, and makeup may be used to conceal any discoloration you may still be experiencing during this time. Dr. Karaca recommends that you hold off on resuming regular exercise and physical activity for several weeks until the swelling disappears.
How Much Does Rhinoplasty Cost in Detroit?
Costs will vary between patients because every rhinoplasty procedure is personalized for each patient. For procedures not covered by medical insurance, Dr. Karaca is pleased to offer financing solutions to offer his patients flexible payment options. Our office also accepts cash, personal checks, and credit cards.
If you or your child is unhappy with a nose that doesn’t harmonize with other facial features or if breathing is impaired by structural concerns, such as a deviated septum, it’s time to contact us to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Ahmet R. Karaca, M.D., at Birmingham Plastic Surgery. Dr. Karaca and his specialized team provide a variety of plastic surgeries and cosmetic procedures, including open and closed rhinoplasty for both children and adults who live in and around Detroit, Farmington Hills, and the surrounding communities of Michigan.