Mini Tummy Tuck in Detroit, MI
If you are troubled by folds of excess skin below your belly button or accumulated fat in the lower abdomen that isn’t responding to diet exercise, consider a mini tummy tuck. Birmingham Plastic Surgery, led by board-certified plastic surgeon Ahmet R. Karaca, M.D., offers mini tummy tucks for men and women who live in and around Detroit, Farmington Hills and the surrounding communities of Michigan.
What Is A Mini Tummy Tuck?
A mini tummy tuck is a less comprehensive procedure than the conventional tummy tuck, usually leaving a shorter scar. For patients whose excess skin and sagging tissue is located exclusively below the belly button, a mini tummy tuck can correct the problem using a single horizontal incision just above the pubic area. No second incision around the belly button is needed, as in a full tummy tuck. A mini procedure usually requires a shorter recovery period, but it may not be suitable for everyone. Dr. Karaca can help you determine whether you may be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck.
Benefits of a Mini Tummy Tuck
The tummy tuck is a far less invasive procedure than the traditional tummy tuck, which cuts back on the amount of discomfort, the risk of complications and the recovery period following the procedure. Other benefits include:
- Shorter scar than a traditional tummy tuck.
- The belly button remains in the same place.
- The mini tummy tuck may be performed on patients who don’t qualify for a full tummy tuck due to scar tissue from previous surgeries.
- Less expensive than a full tummy tuck.
Am I a Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck?
The mini tummy tuck is ideal for patients who have small amounts of loose skin and fat in the lower abdomen, located below the belly button. Women who have a pouch just above their C-section scars may also be ideal candidates. Patients with a slim physique who have attained their ideal weight, but seek a more sculpted, toned silhouette also make great candidates. The mini tummy tuck is a good option for those with good skin elasticity, good muscle tone in the abdominal wall, and adults who enjoy overall good health.
The Mini Tummy Tuck Procedure
The mini tummy tuck requires a horizontal incision in the lower abdomen, though much shorter in length than the incision created in a traditional tummy tuck. The skin is then loosened from the abdominal wall, and the muscles of the lower abdomen are tightened, excess fat is extracted, and the muscles are sutured. Following the procedure, the incision is sutured and bandaged.
Mini Tummy Tuck Recovery
Patients are advised to get up and walk around shortly after surgery, although many patients report some discomfort during this period. Two days following the surgery, most patients notice a dramatic improvement in comfort and energy levels. We recommend postponing strenuous physical activity for four to six weeks following your surgery.
Differences Between a Mini Tummy Tuck and a Tummy Tuck
The primary difference between a tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck is that the tummy tuck is a more invasive comprehensive procedure, and the mini tummy tuck only treats the area below the belly button, so there is less scarring and no repositioning of the navel. Other differences include:
- Mini Tummy Tuck: Tightens the muscles in the lower abdomen, providing a flat belly below the belly button.
- Tummy Tuck: Treats muscle separation above and below the navel, and removes excessive sagging or loose skin in the entire abdominal region.
- Mini Tummy Tuck: Leaves a shorter incision along the bikini line; removes excess fat; tightens skin and muscles below the belly button.
- Tummy Tuck: The navel is separated from the abdominal wall; a flap of skin is created and stretched down; excess tissue is trimmed away and eliminated.
- Mini Tummy Tuck: Ideal for patients who are close to their ideal weight, maintain a stable weight, and have a relatively firm abdominal wall without significant protrusion.
- Tummy Tuck: Ideal for patients whose skin has become flaccid and loose as a result of multiple pregnancies or due to significant weight loss.
- Mini Tummy Tuck: May be performed using either general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation.
- Tummy Tuck: Requires administration of general anesthesia.
- Mini Tummy Tuck: Leaves a hairline scar that extends from mid-thigh to mid-thigh.
- Tummy Tuck: Leaves a longer scar that extends from hipbone to hipbone.
- Mini Tummy Tuck: Requires a recovery period of one to three weeks.
- Tummy Tuck: Full recovery requires four to six weeks.
Can I Have A Mini Tummy Tuck Between Pregnancies?
Although you can safely become pregnant after a tummy tuck, it is wiser to undergo the procedure once you are done having children, as future pregnancies and lactation may affect the results of the procedure.
When Can I Begin To Exercise Following My Mini Tummy Tuck?
Moderate exercise is recommended within two to three weeks following the procedure, with a slow and gradual increase in physical activity; strenuous activity such as running or heavy lifting may be resumed after about four to six weeks following surgery.
How Much Does A Mini Tummy Tuck Cost in Atlanta?
Most health insurance providers do not pay for cosmetic procedures such as the mini tummy tuck. Dr. Karaca provides affordable cosmetic procedures, such as the tummy tuck and mini tummy tuck, for all our patients by providing easy financing methods. Our office also accepts cash, personal checks, and credit cards.
If you’re tired of seeing hanging fat and loose, sagging skin in the region below your belly button, a mini tummy tuck may be the perfect cosmetic solution for you. Birmingham Plastic Surgery, led by board-certified plastic surgeon Ahmet R. Karaca, M.D., provides cosmetic procedures, such as the mini tummy tuck, for men and women who live in and around Detroit, Farmington Hills and the surrounding communities of Michigan. Contact us today!